This half-day tour is a favorite among many who come to explore Shkodër, Albania’s fifth-largest city. Starting with a pick-up from your hotel or guesthouse, our professional tour guide will take you to the most important sites in and around a city that has been inhabited by everyone from the Illyrians to the Slavs and the Ottomans. According to the Lonely Planet, Shkodër is “one of the oldest cities in Europe.” As you explore formidable fortifications and even twentieth-century sites of important significance with us, we are certain you’ll feel that history.
- Rozafa Castle – Set on a rocky hill approximately 130 meters above sea level, this imposing fortress has beautiful views of Shkodër and its surrounding areas. It was built by the Illyrians and is more than 1,000 years old.
- Mesi Bridge – Built in the 18th century by Kara Mahmud Bushati, the local Ottoman pasha, this bridge is often referred to as the ‘Lord of the Rings Bridge.’ It is one of the longest Ottoman bridges in the area and spans the Kir River.
- Communist Jail – During Albania’s Communist era (1946-1992), numerous prisons and internment camps were created throughout the country to confine individuals considered to be a threat to the regime. Like their counterparts elsewhere in the country, most of the prisoners in Shkoder’s so-called Communist Jail were primarily Catholic priests and clergy, Muslim imams, academics and political prisoners. In total, it is estimated that 5,548 individuals were executed in the country during this time. To learn more about life for everyday Albanians during this difficult period of history, visit this website which details restrictions on everything from eating to clothing and transportation.
- Marubi Permanent Photo Exhibition – The first ever photograph to be taken of Albania is on display at this interesting exhibition depicting various Albanian places of importants, events and portraits.
- Tour Duration: Approximately 3.5 hours.
North Albania Tours is happy to tailor this half-day excursion to meet your requests. In addition to the above suggestions, other possibilities include trips on the lake, visits to local artisans, and fine or casual dining. For a price quote or booking, please feel free to contact us.
The Rozafa Fortress
The Mesi Bridge