This half-day tour is a favourite among guests who come to explore Shkodër. Albania’s fifth-largest city. Starting with a pick-up from your hotel or guesthouse, our professional tour guide will take you to the most important sites in and around a city. Shkodër has been inhabited by the Illyrians, the Slavs and the Ottomans. According to Lonely Planet®, Shkodër is “one of the oldest cities in Europe.” As you explore with us formidable castles and twentieth-century sites of important significance, we are certain you’ll feel our country’s history.
- Rozafa Castle – Set on a rocky hill approximately 130 meters above sea level, this imposing fortress has beautiful views of Shkodër and the surrounding areas from each of its 3 ‘yards.’ It was built by the Illyrians and is more than 1,000 years old.
- Mesi Bridge – Built in the 18th century by Kara Mahmud Bushati, a local Ottoman Pasha. This bridge is often referred to as the ‘Lord of the Rings Bridge.’ It is one of the longest Ottoman bridges in the area and spans the Kir River.
- Communist Jail – During Albania’s Communist Era (1946-1992), numerous prisons and internment camps were created throughout the country confining individuals considered to be a threat to the regime. Like their counterparts elsewhere in the country, most of the prisoners in Shkodër’s Communist Jail were primarily Catholic priests, clergy, Muslim imams, academics and political prisoners. In total, it is estimated that 5,548 individuals were executed in the country during this time. To learn more about life for everyday Albanians during this difficult period of history, visit this website which details restrictions on everything from eating to clothing and transportation.
- Marubi Permanent Photo Exhibition – The first ever photograph taken of Albania is on display at this interesting exhibition. It shares depictions of various Albanian places of importance, events and portraits.
- Tour Duration: Approximately 3.5 hours.
North Albania Tours is happy to tailor this half-day excursion to meet your travel schedule. In addition to the above suggestions, other possibilities include trips on the lake, visits to local artisans, fine or casual dining. For a price quote and/or booking, please contact us.