Have you ever wondered what traditional Albanian food tastes like? Would you like to learn how to prepare Albanian cuisine in a family’s home? Say yes!
It’s generally limited to find places in Albania that offer cooking classes to visitors. But, we have teamed up with a professional cook, Emanuela to ensure you can sample and learn how to make some of our favorite and delicious dishes. Much of our cuisine has Greek, Italian and Turkish origins. Emanuela learned how to prepare traditional Albanian and Italian dishes while working at the local women’s shelter. For years, she’s been creating tasty delicacies for our cooking class students, the Florian Guesthouse guests, family and ensuring no one leaves Albania hungry.
Emanuela will also invite you into her home. So after the cooking class, you will get to enjoy the dishes you have helped prepare. And, you can toast to your success with a glass of Emanuela’s family’s homemade wine, which is included in the course fee.
Sample food items may include:
- Byrek – A crispy, multi-layered pastry filled with ingredient combinations such as cheese, ground meat, onions, vegetables and eggs. (Byrek variations exist throughout the Balkans, each country offers a different take on this savory classic.)
- Traditional Albanian salads – Made from vegetables grown in the garden of Emanuela’s home. Tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are popular ingredients, but ingredient combinations depend upon what is fresh and in-season.
- Rustic Bread – Whether prepared using whole-grain wheat flour or gluten-free corn flour, the result is always delicious!
- Soups – Incorporating colorful vegetables and handfuls of fresh herbs, we often drizzle fresh lemon juice to our steaming-hot soup. Emanuela often makes cabbage or fish-based soups with her students, but the possible combinations are endless. It’s also common in Albania to serve a sprig of green onion on the side, so that you can nibble on it as you enjoy the soup.
- Homemade wines – lovingly made by Emanuela’s father, Zef, he uses grapes grown in the family’s vineyard.
Prices vary depending on group size so please contact us for more details. When you inquire, please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions, allergies, or preferences.